Thursday, July 19, 2012

Working after hours

On most days, I rush home at 5:00, grab a quick snack and little britches and we head straight out to the lot.  It's hard for me to contemplate just how tired Jeffrey probably is, being out there at 6:30 every morning, and then I come when I can and we work till 8:00 or 9:00.  There's not a whole lot we can do each day, but the little tasks add up and we can certainly make it easier for the guys when they get there in the mornings.  Most days, it's just little projects, like the retaining wall steps, or picking up blocks, sweeping the floor.  Today it was moving rafters and building a pulley system to hoist that huge ridge beam into place in the morning.  It wasn't terribly hard work, but the rafters were long and heavy, and we had to load them in the truck 12 at a time (3 loads), then unload them on the porch, then move them inside the house, and then hoist 20 of them upstairs.  whew.  Well I got my first battle scar anyway.  Word of advice - keep your fingers from between concrete porch and end of rafter - ouch. 


As painful as that was (is), I couldn't be happier helping to build the house.  I would be miserable if I had to endure this whole process without getting my hands in it somewhere, and the little one is the same way.  Regardless of whatever it is we're doing, we always have help.  Some days she likes to bring us water, ice, or nails, frogs, bugs, or blocks (whatever she can find/catch to bring us).  Sometimes she likes to help 'dig holes' (usually where we don't need them); but today she was going to help dada nail his boards :)



1 comment:

  1. This last picture was the one I've been waiting for. :)

    ReplyDelete